[sword-devel] Sword 1.6.2 NOW!

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 18:32:46 MST 2010

 On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>wrote:

> IMO, it would be the other way.  If people see a CMake system they
> will probably think it's exactly like the autotools, which is not easy
> to guarantee.  I would think CMake should be held off for a feature
> update release and the bindings fixes should be included.  My
> alterations in the bindings directory aren't adding new functionality
> - it's fixes for functionality which was there but long broken.  I
> would hesitate to include those changes though, until we've heard from
> the BPBible team.  I've asked a few times since I made the changes and
> haven't seen any comments from them on here.  Either they don't use
> SVN HEAD in their development, or they haven't noticed any breakage.
>
> --Greg

I did try building sword with cmake on OS X and it seemed to work, as did
the bindings. But I didn't ever get round to running with it. I'm doing that
now, and it appears that  there are problems with it with some of the
VerseKey added methods like bookName
(i.e.
>>> vk = Sword.VerseKey()
>>> vk.bookName(2, 2)
b is null for 4536913?!?
)

Could this be because the python version is linking against a libsword 1.6.1
dylib (which was already there from a previous compilation without cmake)
and there have been changes in the .h files which it was including when
building the swig which break things (i.e. no ABI compatibility with 1.6.1)?
That's all I can think of. I haven't got any time to look at it at the
moment really.

Currently trying to use the cmake checked into sword's trunk gives this
error:
[  3%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/buildtest.dir/buildtest.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable buildtest
[  3%] Built target buildtest
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../sword', needed by
`CMakeFiles/pythonswig'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/pythonswig.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,