[sword-devel] osis.py

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Tue May 11 16:32:21 MST 2010

On 11 May 2010 22:16, Weston Ruter <westonruter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, Dmitrijs. I'm actually taking my cues from jQuery
> which is dual licensed MIT/GPL and merely says:
>>
>> /*!
>>  * jQuery JavaScript Library v1.4.2
>>  * http://jquery.com/
>>  *
>>  * Copyright 2010, John Resig
>>  * Dual licensed under the MIT or GPL Version 2 licenses.
>>
>>  * http://jquery.org/license
>>
> http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4/jquery.min.js
>
> However, I just added the MIT license block in addition to the GPL and MIT
> license URLs. Good that you thought of those without Internet access.
>
> More on why dual licensing is a good idea:
> http://benalman.com/news/2010/02/on-licensing-my-code/

Dual licensing is a bad idea cause it further spreads license profiliation =)

and "they couldn't actually use it" is a false argument and there is
comment about that in the blogpost already =)

See the "source":

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

And better diagram from:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

About GPL compatability =) and MIT license gives you that (although a
few different licenses are called that)

You can take any MIT license code, change it combined it with GPL code
and release as GPL.

Infact MIT code can be combined with any code out there as long as
attributions are given.

On the other hand GPL can only be extended & re-released as GPL.

So doing permissive & GPL dual license for the whole thing doesn't make sence =)

Mozilla does triple-license because it is not actually licensing the
whole thing under all three licenses. They still keep artwork and have
levarage in telling a couple of distributions what they can / cannot
include in their releases.

This is a fun topic but more appropriate for debian-legal at l.d.o =) and
I think I bore sword-devel enough with licensing issues already =)

> Thanks!
> Weston

Thank you for adding license information pkgcrosswire can include this
software in Debian & Ubuntu when your software is stable enough ;-)