[sword-devel] Site certificate suggestion: http://www.startssl.com/ class 1

Kahunapule Michael Johnson kahunapule at mpj.cx
Fri Jan 1 21:07:41 MST 2010

On 01/01/2010 10:12 PM, David Haslam wrote:

> On the whole, Steve was very favorable as regards the same issuer referred
> to as  http://cert.startcom.org/ StartCom .

This is the same organization that runs the startssl.com site (which is
linked to from the above site). I'm happy with them, running their free
certificates on eBible.org, cryptography.org, and a few others. Putting
that certificate on crosswire.org made my browser (and therefore me)
happy about the security of the site. Their main advantage (besides
reasonable security and freeness) is that their root certificate is
already trusted by almost all current browsers, meaning that you don't
have to deal with questions about security exceptions from the general
public. These certificates are just the result of doing some math, so it
isn't be hard to create your own certification authority. It is just
hard to convince all of the browser publishers to trust you enough to by
default accept all of your certificates.