[sword-devel] Fwd: PocketSword: an iPhone Bible Study app
niccarter at mac.com
Wed Feb 17 20:50:33 MST 2010
Thanks for your comments about PocketSword :) Just to let you know, footnotes (along with Strong's Numbers & cross references) aren't implemented in PocketSword yet. My current focus for v1.2 is for Strong's Numbers (very very very much my number 1 requested feature!) and Morphology to get implemented. It makes sense to include footnotes in this release, too, but I am concerned that the more I throw into this release, the longer it will take to get this out the door -- it's just meant to be a very quick release schedule for Strong's only... ;)
I'll try to answer the questions Troy has posed:
1) PocketSword doesn't currently have the ability to "unlock" a module (the functionality is not exposed through the UI). There is a way around this, but no one has asked me any questions about this, so I have yet to write it up. This is on my list of things to do, but my lack of time has meant that it hasn't happened yet!
1) a) From an end-user's point of view, the best way of "buying" a module would be through an in-app purchase. However, Apple would take 30% of the sale this way. Buying through your site, you get all the proceeds (minus whatever fees you have to pay!).
2) Currently PocketSword doesn't have the ability to download from Module Repositories other than the CrossWire and the CrossWire Beta ones. It can't even download from the CrossWire Experimental repository. This is something that needs to be addressed, but #1 needs to be fixed before this can be fixed. Currently there is a way to manually install modules (it's called Module Maintainer Mode, and you can find more information about it on the PocketSword web site and the PocketSword user forums). When #1 is addressed, I plan on addressing #2 & then I will fix the repository issue. :(
3) Easy from my end. I don't need to do anything! :D I would need to examine the process of buying a module, so I know what the user is expecting and how to best make this work for the user, but #1 and #2 needs to be addressed first. :(
4) --I don't think this is a question I can answer-- [but I agree that it is confusing]
Thanks, and please feel free to email back with any questions on anything I have said. :)
PocketSword Developer - an iPhone Bible Study app
On 18/02/2010, at 2:52 AM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Dear Todd,
> It's good to hear from you. I'm forwarding your email on to our developers' forum to make others aware of the issue. Nic Carter has taken the lead on the PocketSword effort, with the original work done by Ian Wagner. From your email, these are the questions I'd like us to answer.
> 1) PocketSword, being a SWORD frontend, already has the ability to decipher your encrypted modules for which Bible.org sells unlock codes. Does PocketSword expose the ability for the user to enter a decipher code?
> 2) Does PocketSword display the About and Unlock information, which should include a link to your site where the unlock code can be purchased and obtained?
> 3) Might it be possible to detect the UserAgent from the iPhone browser, such that if/when PocketSword does display the unlock information to the user and they click to go to your unlock webpage, that you can display a unique page tuned for iPhone users?
> 4) Should we be more explicit somewhere about which versions of which NET modules go together and the differences between them? Where is the best place for information?
> Responses should be sent Reply All, as Todd and David are not (to my knowledge) subscribed to our developers' forum. I'll push through any replies from them.
> Todd Lingren wrote:
>> Hey Troy it was good meeting you at ETS.
>> Dave Austin sent me the link to the new Cross PocketSword app on the
>> iPhone/iPod touch (I'm using the latter).
>> First things first,
>> I like the interface and all the sword references built in for
>> download. It's well done.
>> Secondly, I see that the NET is in there twice, one "limited notes"
>> and one "text-free". I'm a little confused what the difference is. I
>> don't see the fn markers on either one. is there supposed to be a
>> footnote marker and footnotes? I found under commentaries the "net
>> free notes" resource. There probably needs to be some sort of
>> warning/notice when someone downloads the limited text or limited
>> notes, that they need to download the other item.
>> Regarding a premium, full notes version, is there planned to be an
>> in-app purchase feature so someone can purchase the full notes? Or, if
>> not, is there a way we could share/sell links to someone to offer it?
>> Todd Lingren
>> Publishing Director
>> todd at bible.org
>> support: 214-580-1999
>> sales: 800-575-2425
>> fax: 972-767-3166
>> All of the sales from http://store.bible.org
>> support the free trustworthy studies @ bible.org
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: David Austin (bghp) <daustin at bible.org>
>> Date: Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 9:43 PM
>> Subject: PocketSword: an iPhone Bible Study app
>> To: Todd Lingren <todd at bible.org>
>> Cc: Brian Seagraves <bseagraves at bible.org>, Hampton Keathley
>> <hampton at bible.org>, Mark Austin <MA2552 at att.com>, Joe Head
>> <joehead at gmail.com>
>> todd can you test this and see if it gets both the free and premium netbible?
>> if not email troy griffitts <troy at crosswire.org>
>> David Austin (Executive Director www.Bible.org )
>> 214-580 1999 ext 152(v); skype daustin100 ; DAustin at Bible.org
>> ~Home of the NETBible and over 5500 free studies ~All donations
>> http://bible.org/donate and sales from http://store.bible.org support
>> the production and distribution of free trustworthy studies from
>> www.bible.org ~ Check out our free Bible Study tool at
>> http://www.netbible.org -----
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
More information about the sword-devel