[sword-devel] Fwd: PocketSword: an iPhone Bible Study app

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Wed Feb 17 20:50:33 MST 2010

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your comments about PocketSword  :)  Just to let you know, footnotes (along with Strong's Numbers & cross references) aren't implemented in PocketSword yet.  My current focus for v1.2 is for Strong's Numbers (very very very much my number 1 requested feature!) and Morphology to get implemented.  It makes sense to include footnotes in this release, too, but I am concerned that the more I throw into this release, the longer it will take to get this out the door -- it's just meant to be a very quick release schedule for Strong's only...  ;)

I'll try to answer the questions Troy has posed:

1) PocketSword doesn't currently have the ability to "unlock" a module (the functionality is not exposed through the UI).  There is a way around this, but no one has asked me any questions about this, so I have yet to write it up.  This is on my list of things to do, but my lack of time has meant that it hasn't happened yet!
1) a) From an end-user's point of view, the best way of "buying" a module would be through an in-app purchase.  However, Apple would take 30% of the sale this way.  Buying through your site, you get all the proceeds (minus whatever fees you have to pay!).

2) Currently PocketSword doesn't have the ability to download from Module Repositories other than the CrossWire and the CrossWire Beta ones.  It can't even download from the CrossWire Experimental repository.  This is something that needs to be addressed, but #1 needs to be fixed before this can be fixed.  Currently there is a way to manually install modules (it's called Module Maintainer Mode, and you can find more information about it on the PocketSword web site and the PocketSword user forums).  When #1 is addressed, I plan on addressing #2 & then I will fix the repository issue.  :(

3) Easy from my end.  I don't need to do anything!  :D  I would need to examine the process of buying a module, so I know what the user is expecting and how to best make this work for the user, but #1 and #2 needs to be addressed first.  :(

4) --I don't think this is a question I can answer-- [but I agree that it is confusing]

Thanks, and please feel free to email back with any questions on anything I have said.  :)

Thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)

----
Nic Carter
PocketSword Developer - an iPhone Bible Study app
http://crosswire.org/pocketsword