[sword-devel] Android SWORD

David Forslund forslund at mail.com
Sun Aug 29 17:18:47 MST 2010

  One other request is to try to reduce the size 
of the application.  It is over 8Mbytes on my 
Droid and is one of the largest applications on 
the phone (around the size of Google Maps).    
Other Biblereaders are significantly smaller.   I 
would hope the size could be reduced.  I don't 
know if going to the native libsword would be 
smaller or not.


On 8/29/2010 7:04 AM, SonWon wrote:
> Just my opinion but I am all for more speed  ;) 
>  I use the reader during sermons and some 
> speakers move from Bible text to Bible text 
> quite fast.  Having a history feature tracking 
> each verse is useful for later review.  Just my 
> two sense.  :)
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Kenneth Arnold 
> <kcarnold at alum.mit.edu 
> <mailto:kcarnold at alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
>     Hi Martin and Troy,
>     I finally got the AndBible source built; I
>     needed to get the jsword source and also
>     raise the memory limit for Eclipse--it
>     thrashed and eventually crashed in the
>     linker/dex step. There's still a dex warning
>     that floods the Console, but it works on my
>     Droid X. I made a few minor modifications to
>     ensure I could, but nothing serious yet.
>     Major things I'd like to work on as a user
>     are navigation, continuous scrolling, and
>     verse number sync. Also, do you think we
>     should replace the backend with native
>     libsword? That might help formatting and
>     speed, but I don't know how deeply it's
>     woven into the code. The Bishop code could
>     be a useful example if we decide to go that
>     way.
>     Should we continue discussion on this list?
>     -Ken (mobile)
>>     On Aug 26, 2010 1:39 AM, "Troy A.
>>     Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org
>>     <mailto:scribe at crosswire.org>> wrote:
>>     Dear Ken,
>>     Thank you for the debug.  I also have had
>>     trouble with the installer and
>>     haven't had time to look into it.
>>     The history is that I build Bishop as a
>>     sort of proof of concept for the
>>     java-jni bindings for Android.  I mostly
>>     work in the engine code.  The
>>     jni binding code I kept in SWORD SVN and
>>     the Bishop code I just backed
>>     up occasionally to our server.  Last year
>>     my drive crashed and I lost
>>     some work but might have pieced it all back
>>     together.  Here is an email
>>     I sent to Gary with links to all my stuff.
>>     ______________________
>>     After last year when I started the work I
>>     had a harddrive die on my
>>     laptop.  I had been backing up the work
>>     regularly, but lost about 2
>>     weeks of work in the crash.  I used a
>>     recovery tool to salvage many of
>>     the files from the bishop project and think
>>     I may have close to what is
>>     in the apk.  Here are my resources if you
>>     want to try to piece things
>>     together:
>>     Lastest binary when I stopped, dated
>>     11-18-2009:
>>     http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop.apk
>>     <http://crosswire.org/%7Escribe/bishop.apk>
>>     Latest backup of source, dated 10-31-2009:
>>     http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop-20091031.tar.gz
>>     <http://crosswire.org/%7Escribe/bishop-20091031.tar.gz>
>>     Latest binary after reconstructing source
>>     and I think some small new
>>     work (I think this is built with debug
>>     symbols in the native library so
>>     it's a little bigger):
>>     http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop2.apk
>>     <http://crosswire.org/%7Escribe/bishop2.apk>
>>     Current backup of source which built the above:
>>     http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop-20100804.tar.gz
>>     <http://crosswire.org/%7Escribe/bishop-20100804.tar.gz>
>>     Please excuse my ignorance of Android
>>     programming.  I am fumbling
>>     through it all.
>>     I remember having trouble with the
>>     InstallMgr.  It sometimes connects
>>     and downloads and other times it does not.
>>      I thought it might be the
>>     limited memory on my G1 or some trouble
>>     with the timing of the FTP code
>>     in the native library.  I've found serious
>>     bugs in Android's system
>>     calls, (e.g. memccpy) and reported it to
>>     them, but they still haven't
>>     fixed it.  I use my own version in the ftp
>>     lib to avoid the bug.  That
>>     is where I stopped-- thinking I needed to
>>     debug this ftp intermittent
>>     issue.  I didn't compare how well the older
>>     .apk works versus the newer
>>     .apk.  Maybe the older version worked
>>     better?  Or maybe a newer version
>>     of Android or new phone works better?
>>     Let me know what you find.
>>     Troy
>>     On 08/24/2010 09:01 PM, Kenneth Arnold wrote:
>>     > I just got an Android phone, and after
>>     seeing the...
>     _______________________________________________
>     sword-devel mailing list:
>     sword-devel at crosswire.org
>     <mailto:sword-devel at crosswire.org>
>     http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
>     Instructions to unsubscribe/change your
>     settings at above page
> _______________________________________________
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/attachments/20100829/e4f6767b/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the sword-devel mailing list