[sword-devel] Android SWORD

David Forslund forslund at mail.com
Sun Aug 29 15:45:02 MST 2010

  I agree.  Quick verse selection is highly 
desirable.   Scrolling through all the books of 
the Bible is far too slow.  I've found that a grid 
selection available on some bible readers works 
quite fast.  Also, bookmarks and/or a history of 
viewed verses is very useful.   Having the back 
arrow take one to a previous verse is very 
useful.    Being able to navigate a set of 
bookmarked verses is helpful in a worship service.

On 8/29/2010 7:04 AM, SonWon wrote:
> Just my opinion but I am all for more speed  ;) 
>  I use the reader during sermons and some 
> speakers move from Bible text to Bible text 
> quite fast.  Having a history feature tracking 
> each verse is useful for later review.  Just my 
> two sense.  :)
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Kenneth Arnold 
> <kcarnold at alum.mit.edu 
> <mailto:kcarnold at alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
>     Hi Martin and Troy,
>     I finally got the AndBible source built; I
>     needed to get the jsword source and also
>     raise the memory limit for Eclipse--it
>     thrashed and eventually crashed in the
>     linker/dex step. There's still a dex warning
>     that floods the Console, but it works on my
>     Droid X. I made a few minor modifications to
>     ensure I could, but nothing serious yet.
>     Major things I'd like to work on as a user
>     are navigation, continuous scrolling, and
>     verse number sync. Also, do you think we
>     should replace the backend with native
>     libsword? That might help formatting and
>     speed, but I don't know how deeply it's
>     woven into the code. The Bishop code could
>     be a useful example if we decide to go that
>     way.
>     Should we continue discussion on this list?
>     -Ken (mobile)
>>     On Aug 26, 2010 1:39 AM, "Troy A.
>>     Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org
>>     <mailto:scribe at crosswire.org>> wrote:
>>     Dear Ken,
>>     Thank you for the debug.  I also have had
>>     trouble with the installer and
>>     haven't had time to look into it.
>>     The history is that I build Bishop as a
>>     sort of proof of concept for the
>>     java-jni bindings for Android.  I mostly
>>     work in the engine code.  The
>>     jni binding code I kept in SWORD SVN and
>>     the Bishop code I just backed
>>     up occasionally to our server.  Last year
>>     my drive crashed and I lost
>>     some work but might have pieced it all back
>>     together.  Here is an email
>>     I sent to Gary with links to all my stuff.
>>     ______________________
>>     After last year when I started the work I
>>     had a harddrive die on my
>>     laptop.  I had been backing up the work
>>     regularly, but lost about 2
>>     weeks of work in the crash.  I used a
>>     recovery tool to salvage many of
>>     the files from the bishop project and think
>>     I may have close to what is
>>     in the apk.  Here are my resources if you
>>     want to try to piece things
>>     together:
>>     Lastest binary when I stopped, dated
>>     11-18-2009:
>>     http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop.apk
>>     <http://crosswire.org/%7Escribe/bishop.apk>
>>     Latest backup of source, dated 10-31-2009:
>>     http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop-20091031.tar.gz
>>     <http://crosswire.org/%7Escribe/bishop-20091031.tar.gz>
>>     Latest binary after reconstructing source
>>     and I think some small new
>>     work (I think this is built with debug
>>     symbols in the native library so
>>     it's a little bigger):
>>     http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop2.apk
>>     <http://crosswire.org/%7Escribe/bishop2.apk>
>>     Current backup of source which built the above:
>>     http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop-20100804.tar.gz
>>     <http://crosswire.org/%7Escribe/bishop-20100804.tar.gz>
>>     Please excuse my ignorance of Android
>>     programming.  I am fumbling
>>     through it all.
>>     I remember having trouble with the
>>     InstallMgr.  It sometimes connects
>>     and downloads and other times it does not.
>>      I thought it might be the
>>     limited memory on my G1 or some trouble
>>     with the timing of the FTP code
>>     in the native library.  I've found serious
>>     bugs in Android's system
>>     calls, (e.g. memccpy) and reported it to
>>     them, but they still haven't
>>     fixed it.  I use my own version in the ftp
>>     lib to avoid the bug.  That
>>     is where I stopped-- thinking I needed to
>>     debug this ftp intermittent
>>     issue.  I didn't compare how well the older
>>     .apk works versus the newer
>>     .apk.  Maybe the older version worked
>>     better?  Or maybe a newer version
>>     of Android or new phone works better?
>>     Let me know what you find.
>>     Troy
>>     On 08/24/2010 09:01 PM, Kenneth Arnold wrote:
>>     > I just got an Android phone, and after
>>     seeing the...
>     _______________________________________________
>     sword-devel mailing list:
>     sword-devel at crosswire.org
>     <mailto:sword-devel at crosswire.org>
>     http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
>     Instructions to unsubscribe/change your
>     settings at above page
> _______________________________________________
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/attachments/20100829/71b6c799/attachment.html>

More information about the sword-devel mailing list