[sword-devel] Audio text linkage

Mike Hart just_mike_y at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 06:59:16 MST 2010

Audio bibles are generally <1Gb, which may prevent collecting all known versions into a portable media device, but the size does not prevent keeping a Bible in an Iphone or pretty much any player you pay more than 10 bucks for.  I've been loading whole audio bibles into my phones for about 3-4 years now. (well I loaded an audio bible as MP3 into a microSD chip that gets inserted into phones as I have the need,) Putting a software front end on this would be an outstanding achievement.

The version I currently use (because it is much more listenable than any version I've come across so far) is the Twentieth Century New Testament read by J.A. Carter.

http://librivox.org/newcatalog/search.php?title=New+Testament

http://librivox.org/newcatalog/search.php?title=Bible

For this feature to provide much if any additional usability over simple MP3 files in a list, It needs to be able to pick specific verses/ verse ranges (not just chapters.) I'm very capable and willing to produce the individual verses from larger files into any format needed. but programming in a time code for each verse would more likely be the appropriate way to skin this apple. That is, the OSIS code for an audio verse should have a filename component, a 'verse start MM:SS.TTT (minutes, seconds, milliseconds)  argument, and a verse end argument.

If defining timecodes inside large mp3 files is too cumbersome, I'm willing to separate the files of a version into verses. I've done initial work for separating the files above into verses. (However, I stopped, because the value of verse separated files is limited without advanced player controls to take advantage of them.) With proper setup, I feel that trimming verses out of the works above for a new testament would take me about a week per gospel sized book. (so about 10 weeks for the NT, and about 3 months for a Bible).

However, I can only work on English texts, because verse separation clearly requires native language ability.