[sword-devel] Announcing a new SWORD front end called Xulsword

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 22 23:25:07 MST 2010

On 23 April 2010 04:01, John Austin <gpl.programs.info at gmail.com> wrote:
> Xulsword (pronounced zool-sword) is now available for download and
> collaboration at:

for my taste it's a bit too close to Xiphos. But maybe it's just me =)

> http://code.google.com/p/xulsword/
>
> Xulsword is a Bible reading and study tool which is easy and fun to
> use, yet very powerful at the same time. The marriage of Xulrunner
> with SWORD provides the best of both worlds by combining the power and
> speed of C++ in the back-end SWORD engine with the quick and easy
> programming of a Javascript front-end and CSS/Xul UI. It is designed
> for quick internationalization, and potential users also include those
> who are not experienced at using a computer, those who might be new to
> the Bible, and those who may not have (or may not want to use) an
> internet connection.

Xiphos is currently using xulrunner-embedding with Gtk+ toolkit.

Xulsword using plain XULRunner for all UI rendering? Looks good =)

> Xulsword may be particularly suited to places where the printed Bible
> in a people's language is hard to find.
>
> Currently compiled for Windows, this XULRunner based program could
> also be compiled without too much effort for Linux and Mac (any
> takers?).

Haven't looked at it, yet. It might be "compiled without too much
effort" but packaging properly does take quite a bit of effort of all
XUL-based apps on unix like platforms. It's non-trivial.