[sword-devel] Devanagari text displays different in SWORD than in the source IMP file
tchase at maf.org
Sun Sep 6 21:23:01 MST 2009
I have tried several different Unicode fonts and still the display of some words are incorrect. For instance you might want to try to display the first word of Mark 1:1 of the text that I sent you. The correct rendering of this word is परमेश्वरका but the way SWORD renders the text, it looks like परमेश्वरका . which is an incorrect rendering of the 4th character in the word which should be a half character. You'll notice the hylanta below that character position. That is a half character marker but, it should be invisable on this word. Any words that have half characters have the hylanta showing in SPW. Try BPBible and the words will render correctly.
I know the differences are slight but they do make a difference.
From: David Haslam [mailto:d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 1:19 AM
To: sword-devel at crosswire.org
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Devanagari text displays different in SWORD than in the source IMP file
I have no problems displaying various Indic scripts in The Sword Project for
Surely it's just a matter of selecting a suitable Unicode font in Options |
Preferences | Display ?
You can do this globally, or per individual module.
Right now, I'm looking at the Hindi module sent to me by Yesudas Solomon.
It looks fine to me. I've even tried it with several different fonts.
I have just pasted this below from 1 Co 11:1 in SPW
(as it happens to be part of today's reading from M'Cheyne)
1 तुम मेरी सी चाल चलो जैसा मैं मसीह की सी चाल चलता हूं।।
You may merely have to find and install a suitable font.
If your Windows PC lacks the required fonts, there is good advice in this
Perhaps we should add a subsection in this page for Indic language fonts?
As for Windows text editors, I found best success with
http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html EditPad Lite when I looked at
the Nepali SFM file you kindly sent me, Tim.
Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> Rendering of complex scripts is a matter of some concern for all our
> frontends - some do worse, some do better and some do really quite fine.
> I think Xiphos and BibleDesktop might be the best bets for all things
> related to complex fonts on Windows. BibleTime - I have not tried ever
> on Windows, so I can not comment, but it uses a sound rendering machine
> and might be ok too.
> My suggestion to you is to choose one of our frontends which does the
> job well and concentrate on that - re translation of interface etc and
> just hope that improvements in the rendering engines improve the
> situation for other applications eventually too.
> Tim Chase wrote:
>> I’m creating a bible module using the .sfm paratext files from the Nepal
>> Bible Society. Just as info I’m using the SFMToOSIS.py for conversion
>> to OSIS and then using OSIS2MOD to create my module files. When
>> showing the example SWORD module to the Bible Society they noticed that
>> the devanagari half characters were not showing correctly.
>> I have done some testing and have found that the text is fine going from
>> the sfm to osis and also into a raw module. When the text is displayed
>> in the bible text panel of the windows SWORD program the text is
>> displayed incorrectly. In SWORD I have set the font for the module to
>> Arial Unicode MS, and all input files are UTF-8.
>> Attached is a small sample imp formatted file which can be used to make
>> a rawtext module using imp2vs. Also attached are images of what the
>> text should look like and the incorrectly displayed text from SWORD.
>> I looked at the text in the raw module with three different editors with
>> the following results using UTF-8 format:
>> Jedit = incorrectly displayed
>> Notepad = correctly displayed
>> Notepad++ = correctly displayed
>> So the problem appears to be in how the SWORD for windows program
>> handles devanagari Unicode script.
>> Hopefully I’ve made it simple enough to be able to troubleshoot this
>> with devanagari text J
>> Thanks for the help
>> Tim Chase
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Devanagari-text-displays-different-in-SWORD-than-in-the-source-IMP-file-tp25137030p25321039.html
Sent from the SWORD Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
More information about the sword-devel