[sword-devel] Android Status [was: iPhone PocketSword status]

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Sat Nov 14 17:24:36 MST 2009

Ahh, yes, I spent way more time than I was happy with in getting the GUI for the install part to be "satisfactory"!
I was thinking I could create screenshots of everything, but I don't think that would give an accurate picture of how things like the installation of modules happens.  Easy solutions for me are for you to get a Mac (and run it on the iPhone simulator!) or, more realistically, do you have a friend with an iPhone or iPod Touch?  we could get PocketSword on that and you could play with it?
But the flow for installing a module is:  select the downloads tab -> select an install source (should I name these "Publishers"?) -> selection of a module type (Bible or commentary, atm) -> selection of the language (hence my posts recently about language codes) -> selection of the module name -> (presents lots of info about the module, with an "install" button available) hit the install button. It's a LONG flow, but I think it's important.  When the screen is so small, I wanna cut down the presented information on each screen, hence I make the user select what type of module & even what language they're interested in.  Should make it easier for a user to find a module in a specific language, that way  :)

Unfortunately I'm learning the SWORD framework as I go along, so I haven't had time to tap into much of the power that it has to offer.  Things like footnotes/x-ref (and you say "etc" but I have little idea what "etc" includes!) I have ideas about, but I've left them switched off via swManager->setGlobalOption()...  I figure it's better to not have them there than for there to be a half-baked implementation of them (have I been using Apple products for too long?  anyone remember the Copy&Paste saga on the iPhone?).

I don't have a hook to the upgrade/versioning info of installed modules yet, either, but I figure that's not a high priority atm, given module upgrades don't happen all that often?

Fonts are an issue on the iPhone.  Well, not entirely.  There's a good selection pre-installed on the iPhone & I now have code to allow the selection of the font to use & hopefully that fixes up any glyph issues we were having before.  I love the concept of having a selectable font per module, but I'm not there yet...  Looking into how to install a font on an iPhone (even just installing it for your own app) has shown me that there is a world of pain there.  But hopefully the situation is quite good with the fonts available in OS 3.x  :)  Of course, if you jailbreak your iPhone, it's easy to install additional fonts, but there's no way I'm going along that line  :P

Thanks for the post, Troy, you've given me further ideas.  :)  My todo list for 1.1 is now so big I'll probably have to cut it into 1.1 & 1.2 tags  :P

thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)

PS: for the Font gurus around, here is what I have made available in PocketSword:

and, yes, I am taking advantage of the role of "dictator" of PocketSword to make the executive decision to not allow "Marker Felt"  :P  everything else is up for discussion, not that  :P
and, yes, I have very little idea about some of these fonts.  I assume the various Heiti fonts are tweaked for different languages, for example, & I do know that if you use Zapfino, it pretty much makes reading the Bible impossible (it's too fancy!), but it's fun  :)

fontStrings = [[NSArray arrayWithObjects:
			   @"American Typewriter",
			   @"AppleGothic",
			   @"Arial",
			   @"Arial Hebrew",