[sword-devel] Android Status [was: iPhone PocketSword status]

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Nov 13 11:29:20 MST 2009

Well, with Nic's encouraging report and from Barry's lead with the subject All Things Mobile, I'll give a brief status update on the Android front.

First, I'd like to say this has been a real challenge-- more than I had expected, but it's been fun.   I would really love to see your solutions for touch navigation, install gui, footnote/x-ref display, etc. As many of you know, I'm not so creative in the field of aesthetics :)  maybe we could post screen shots and learn from eachother's ideas.

Most of my time has been spent on a user intuitive installation screen backed with InstallMgr. I believe it works fairly well now and includes our 'Auto-discovery of Publishers' function, selection of a publisher and install from a list of their modules. Remove also works. What isn't implemented is a hook to our upgrade/versioning info of installed modules.

I've removed the text to speech feature for now, so Bishop can run on Android 1.5 devices, as many handsets are still on this version (Samsung).

Basic reading and navigation of Bibles works ok. I'm not including a CSS with the content yet and I'm leaving Javascript turned off on our webview component, so you'll see odd 'x' characters where cross-references are located, 'n' for notes, etc.

David Haslam has discovered that font support is limited on stock phones, and as of Android 1.6 we don't know a way to install additional fonts without rooting your phone; my Cyanogen modded G1 has quite a bit better font support, but still not great.

You can try it out at the usual place:

http://crosswire.org/~scribe/bishop.apk

Android emulators are available in the SDK, if you'd like to test but don't have a phone.

Troy