[sword-devel] language/locale codes

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Nov 11 04:50:48 MST 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, DM Smith wrote:

> Chris,
> Thanks very much for this.
>
> I'm wondering about a few things I have seen.
> In some languages there are ASCII equivalents for accented forms. I'm thinking we probably shouldn't use the ASCII forms.
> Example:
> 	 Bokmål is sometimes Bokmaal and even Bokmal
> (The SIL files consistently use the accented form)

A small correction: it's not an accent, a with ring above is a different
letter altogether, like u with two dots in German is competely different
from u.

But the problem is interesting. In BT we have hardcoded language names
and I have used \uxxxx for non-ascii letters which is a c++ standard.
However, MS Visual C++ doesn't handle it correctly, and we got only
empty squares in UI even though the font works fine otherwise. I'd like
to use the more "original" forms if possible because it feels more
respectful to each language.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland