[sword-devel] 3-letter language character codes

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Nov 9 19:45:38 MST 2009

On 11/09/2009 04:49 PM, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, DM Smith wrote:
>
>> I don't know all the history, and what I know may be a bit faulty.
>>
> [<clip>]
>
> A bit faulty or not, it gives an explanation to the situation. However,
> we have a more practical problem. We should be able keep the modules and
> frontends in sync.
I agree. Here are the issues that I see. There may be others and these
might not be important.
a) A module in a repository, we will assume, has a valid language code
at the time it was created, but it might not be valid at a later date.
We have seen several codes in the beta repository be obsoleted.

A user may have one of these modules for a long time, not noticing an
update that merely changes the language code to the current correct value.

To solve this, the old code needs to be kept in so far as possible. (It
might be re-assigned, but it appears that there is care taken to
minimize or prevent that.)

b) The release of updates of the SWORD engine takes longer than any of
us wants. While we agree on frequent releases, we don't do that. This
indicates that the we either tie language codes to what the engine knows
or we find a different mechanism.

c) 3rd party solutions have their own goals which might not align with
module releases and updates. For example, they may not update as
frequently as needed or they may only include currently valid codes.

d) Some distributions of Linux have been notoriously slow in updating
SWORD apps. There is no reason to expect that such an update mechanism
can be relied upon.

I see a couple of solutions, both based on CrossWire maintaining
internationalized lists of module languages, current and past. This can
be somewhat programmatic, grabbing the unique set of language codes, and
constructing a filtered list of these languages (perhaps using the code
I supplied earlier.)

It could be place in mods.d.tar.gz or some other well known place for
download. This is the only solution that I see that solves all the problems.

JSword's solution is to try to keep current with the CrossWire
production modules and hope that we encompass beta before they get into
production. If we slip, we catalog the "new" languages as "Unknown",
that is a code of "und." For most of our users, this accurately reflects
their knowledge/opinion of the language. I think that is a fairly
graceful fallback.

In Him,
     DM