[sword-devel] Problem understanding wiki

johnduffy at cgcf.net johnduffy at cgcf.net
Tue Nov 3 03:46:20 MST 2009

Hi,
I'm trying to understand how to convert an osis file to a functioning module
in a Sword frontend.  I'm following the steps at the wiki
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:Modules, and using
sword-utilities-1.6.0-r2473.

However, after 'importing' the osis file, or rather converting it to four
files (ot.vss, ot, nt.vss, nt), I am not clear as to what to do next.  The
next step seems ambiguous:
"To compress a Bible, commentary, or LD module, use the mod2zmod utility.
First you will need to install the module so that it can be accessed using
the SWORD engine. Next, run:" and then gives the syntax for the compression
executable mod2zmod.  But does that mean that I should install the module
before compressing it by running mod2zmod?  If so, how do I install it?  The
instructions later on for installing a module imply that a single module or
folder with module files is produced.  All I have is the four files.  I've
been unable to compress them, as mod2zmod is looking for a module name,
which I don't have.  Am I doing something wrong?

John Duffy