[sword-devel] osis2mod problems

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Sun May 17 22:25:32 MST 2009

 On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>wrote:

> Ben Morgan wrote:
>
> > I wonder if we need to release some of the important utilities at
> > different times from the engine. (i.e. have a osis2mod release once
> > problems are fixed with it)
>
> To me, this suggests more the need for (more and better?) automated
> tests of the utilities, rather than a different release schedule for
> them?  As you fixed the issues you found, did you add to the test suite
> regression tests for them?  If not, is there something in the overall
> testing structure that makes that difficult or impractical to do?

I didn't add regression tests... I'm not sure how workable they are. (though
they would probably be a good idea)
There are two ways you could attack the problem:
Either you store input and expected output for lots of different test cases
- but a reasonable component of these will be binary and as such not really
allow easy comparing.
The other option would be to generate a lot of modules and then fetch verses
from them, I suppose.
It would mean that every time you changed the output (this happened with
more than one thing in 1.6.0), you would have to change potentially a large
number of expected outputs.

> If we are now to enjoy rapid (every month or two?) 1.6.x update
> releases, then I'm not sure there would be much benefit to doing utility
> releases in between those, would there?  And you'd need a different
> version numbering scheme, and a separate source tarball...
>

> I'd rather we just aim for more frequent SWORD releases :)

These are (as far as I can see) critical issues and need (relatively)
immediate fixing.
People have complained before about being expected to run SVN osis2mod to
get the latest version...

In some ways osis2mod changes are important to be released quickly.
Since most osis2mod changes probably don't require a new engine version, we
are supporting a range of previous versions (though this isn't true in
1.6.0). If we have improved osis2mod support, we should release it ASAP to
stop bad module creation happening - there are few things worse than having
badly formatted modules around.

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,