[sword-devel] SWORD utils frontends

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun May 17 04:10:39 MST 2009

On May 17, 2009, at 6:48 AM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:

> Am 16.05.2009 um 21:57 schrieb Jonathan Marsden:
>
>> I'm wondering whether it might end up being simpler to create a
>> Python
>> (or whatever your chosen portable scripting language is) GUI
>> wrapper for
>> the SWORD utilities, that people run locally on their own machine,
>> rather than a web UI for a central server?
>> Login authentication already
>> exists on the user's machine, there is no need to move possibly large
>> files back and forth, no worries about whose files they are, multiple
>> users at once are handled by the users OS (on multi-user OSes only,
>> of
>> course), etc.
>
> Well, I know, a local application would mean much less trouble. And
> in most cases I'd prefer a local over a web application if it makes
> sense.
> If I create such a GUI wrapper for Mac I'll create it in Cocoa (or
> maybe even integrate it into MacSword) which doesn't run anywhere
> else and it would be of no benefit for anyone else except for Mac
> users.
> Web applications and web services are much more common nowadays and
> we - operating over the internet mostly - having such services
> hosted makes sense to me.
>
> More opinions?

A web service can always be packaged to run locally. The other long
term goal is to have a module submission route to CrossWire. We run
the risk of copyright problems with hosting a service. But as long as
each person cannot directly share their efforts via the mechanism, i
think it is minimized and worth the effort.

As to using the same database with the wiki, it might be possible as
it is merely mysql. Regarding Jira, it is firebird. I didn't look at
OpenId, but having a federated id management for the CrossWire server
forum, wiki, bugs, ... appeals to me. I don't really care if it works
elsewhere.

In Christ,
	DM