[sword-devel] SWORD utils frontends

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
Sat May 16 06:39:02 MST 2009

2009/5/16 Manfred Bergmann <bergmannmd at web.de>:

> Am 16.05.2009 um 13:37 schrieb Dmitrijs Ledkovs:
>
>> 2009/5/16 Manfred Bergmann <bergmannmd at web.de>:
>>>
>>> In my opinion the user approach has more potential. But in order to not
>>> again have users need to register while they may already have an account
>>> for
>>> our wiki it might be good to have some kind of single-signon. Or at least
>>> share user data in a database which can be used for the wiki and this
>>> service.
>>> Since the wiki database already exists would it be possible to access
>>> this
>>> database and share the users in there?
>>>

>>> Manfred
>>>

>> What about OpenId?
>
> I don't know OpenId but it looks like this could be a solution. I need to
> read some more about it but maybe we could use this for all our services,
> including Jira.
>

> Manfred

OpenId is quite neat. I works kind of like jabber.

There are many providers (blogspot, yahoo, wordpress, launchpad etc)
and there are many places were websites accept OpenId (for example
sourceforge, many blogs, etc)

To authenticate OpenId user gives you his OpenId (URL mine for example
is https://launchpad.net/~dmitrij.ledkov) The user is then redirected
to his own OpenId provider where he authenticates as usual (or this
step is skipped if he is already logged in) and grants permission to
give some of the details to the target service.

If user authenticates at his server successfully and grants permission
your website gets authentication token for that user. Such that you
can then use that to check that the user is real and give him per-user
stuff you wanted to give him.

It's very neat and indeed removes the "Urrrghh one more login". The
trouble is for me personally it came around a little too late =D I
have like 5 OpenId's I just use one of them for all my OpenId needs.