[sword-devel] SWORD 1.6.x Localization (Ps 151)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu May 7 16:31:59 MST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Ben Morgan <benpmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It still seems clear, to me, that there are a large number of
>> technical difficulties as we climb outward in our search to support
>> everyone's canon.  I'm guessing a mapping mechanism will have to wait
>> until we have determined our full support extent and, even then, will
>> be non-trivial to support verses which are partially broken up in some
>> versions but not others and versions which include in their print
>> multiple versifications.
>
> Of course there are technical difficulties if we seek to copy the printed
> text exactly - but this should not delay a mapping mechanism.
> A mapping mechanism is, I believe, more important than trying to support
> more complicated v11n's with reordering, inserted text, etc.
> (I'm not saying that I don't want to see more complicated v11n's - but I
> think they are a lower priority)
>
> Mapping in the general case should be actually pretty easy mostly - provided
> you have the data...

There is really only two things to do for mapping -- 1) specify what
is being mapped to/from (in other words, select our biggest
"super-set" of material) and 2) specify the format that will be used
to hold that on-disk.

I'm not well enough studied on all my canons to help more than what I
already posted about the JB and answer questions about print copies
that I have.

For part 2, it would be mostly trivial to implement that in code.
Just create a MappingMgr, pass it the directory with mapping files,
and it would reconstruct in memory the mappings.  You could pass it
the string ("Daniel 3:30 KJV") and your target ("LXX") and it would
return the mapped value ("Daniel 3:97" or whatever).  I would be happy
to volunteer to put that together, if someone gives us a specification
of what 1 should be.

--Greg