[sword-devel] SweFolk issues

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Mar 24 00:11:10 MST 2009

Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> 4. It fails to use pre-verse headers properly (e.g. Psalms, Lamentations).

Thanks for catching this. I'd made an error in a script that failed to
place headings prior to the verse marker in cases other than basic
section headings.

> 5. It fails to respect <poetry indent="n">.
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/folkbibeln/SweFolk-ps1:1-preverse-indent.png
> -vs-
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/folkbibeln/SweFB1998-ps1:1-preverse-indent.png

This is marked correctly. See earlier discussion of poetry layout.

> 6. It renders <footnoteQuote> in italics, but renders <quote> with
> double-quotations.
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/folkbibeln/SweFolk-gen1:1-footnotequote.png
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/folkbibeln/SweFolk-matt1:23-quote.png
> -vs-
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/folkbibeln/SweFB1998-gen1:1-footnotequote.png
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/folkbibeln/SweFB1998-mat1:23-quote.png

Well... this is not an error in any sense, but I've increased the
specificity my translation of their <quote> tags. <footnoteQuote> is
properly converted to <catchWord>, since that's what they are. How
<catchWord> is translated to rendering markup is an engine matter, but
italics are fine and quite commonplace. (No change here from 1.0 to 1.1)

The <quote> markers can be broken down into 5 categories. Previously I'd
translated them to <q>, which gets the meaning of the tag across, even
if it's not the best translation in all cases. In the NT, they're used
for OT citations and now marked with <seg type="otPassage">. In the OT,
there are 3 uses: inscriptions (marked with <inscription>), I AMs
(marked with <divineName>), a foreign word (marked with <foreign>), and
everything else (left as <q>, which follows practice found in printed
texts).

I'm holding off, briefly, on an announcement, until I can get one or two
other Swedish works imported.

--Chris