[sword-devel] InstallSize was Re: Some new modules

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Mar 3 18:37:19 MST 2009

Thanks Peter for bringing this up for attention.

On #sword we discussed for a while the downside of adding a computed
entry to the .conf files, tried to come up with possible alternatives,
and decided it was easiest to just add it as officially supported in the
.conf and if we ever get around to adding something in installmgr to
return the sizes then we can deprecate the .conf entry, but at lease for
now we have something working.

Decision is to use a byte count, and let frontends prettify it/total it
with other selected modules/etc if they want.

So, can someone own the task to update the .conf spec to include

InstallSize=<total_bytes>

and Karl has graciously offered a bash script to add to our
mods.d.tar.gz nightly generation script to update the modules' .conf.
Karl, could you include an 'exists' check before it modifies the .conf,
cuz our autopackagers use the date of all files involved in the module
to decide whether or not they need to rebuild the module package and I'd
hate to have them rebuilding every night because the .conf file was changed.

Thanks everyone for humoring me on #sword and talking through all the
possible repercussions of this.

	-Troy.