[sword-devel] Wiki front end comparison - a intermediate summary

Brian Fernandes infernalproteus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 04:39:43 MST 2009

Peter,

Truly a great effort and a good list of features for frontend authors to
refer to and improve.

I want to edit the FireBible rows a bit, but would like to make a few
clarifications first; I will wait for your response before editing the
tables or you can go ahead and edit it yourself. Since you left several
columns blank for FireBible, I thought you may have sent me an email
with some questions but I haven't received anything - so here is some
info anyway.

1) Daily Devotionals
FB does support daily devotionals, so I've added a "yes" here. What does
Automatic mean though? Automatically brings up the devotional when you
start he application? Something I have been considering for awhile.

2) Indexing (currently marked "no")
When you search a Bible using the toolbar, it is automatically indexed
if an index does not already exist (using JSword/Lucene) is this the
indexing you are talking about?

3) Archiving / New Content Immediately Avaialble
Can you explain what you mean by these two?

4) Image support
FireBible (since 0.8.5) does support Image Gen books and Map/Image
modules. It supports all image formats that Firefox can display, but you
cannot yet resize images.

5) Several texts open at the same time?
You can have multiple Firefox windows or multiple tabs open
simultaneously with sword content. Inbuilt side by side support does not
exist however, unless you install one of the Firefox split window
extensions. This is one of my todos.

6) Bookmarks
Anything you open in FireBible is bookmarkable and can be tagged. You
would bookmark and / or tag the "bible:// or sword://" URI being
displayed just like you would any other "http://" URL. You can then back
them up, restore them, share them or export them. Maybe you can even
share them on delicious.com (not sure if they will accept other protocols).

I assume these can be considered Nestable too because you are free to
make multi level bookmark folders into which you place these URIs.

Besides this, most content which appears in the central display area
(and not in the last container in the sidebar) also goes into your
Firefox history, just like any other site you visited.

You can also just type in the title of some content you have bookmarked
or recently visited in the "awesome bar" to bring it up. e.g. I could
type in "Genesis 20" in the address bar and Firefox would probably show
you "bible://gen.20.1-ff" as an auto complete option, if I had
bookmarked that URL or had been there recently.

I consider the above bookmarking behavior a significant plus point,
which I gained mostly for free once I decided to make FireBible URI based.

Thanks again for the great effort,
Brian.