[sword-devel] A Theological Question

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Jun 10 06:47:30 MST 2009

Ted Janiszewski wrote:
> Alright, that clears up that bit about the <divineName> element.  When
> I saw <divineName type='x-yhwh'> on p. 65, I thought that <divineName>
> might encompass other types as well.
>
> What about this solution:
>
>     . . . <name type="nonhuman" regular="God">Father</name> and of the
>     <name type="person" regular="Jesus Christ">Son</name> and of the
>     <name type="nonhuman">Holy Spirit</name> . . .

Never really thought about what the regular attribute means or what the
authors of OSIS intended. Perhaps, Chris can chime in.

This seems like a good use.

Regarding theology, most, including me, hold "...God in three persons,
holy trinity..." and that Jesus is God.

So having nonhuman apply to Father is a strong theological statement. So
is person = Son.

> Note that the attribute regular="Holy Spirit" would have been
> redundant on the last name.
>
> Also, are we correct in leaving the definite article outside the
> element in this case?
I think that name should only encompass the name.