[sword-devel] Web-based translation tools (was: Re: Sharing was Re: Welsh Bible from beibl.net )

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 21 00:56:32 MST 2009

Chris Little wrote:

> I think it would be great (and a nice project for any of you more
> inclined to working on web apps) if we could do the same and extend it
> to cover the localizable Sword & front end strings.

Think bigger :)  Think of an existing open source web app that does this
kind of thing already ... for thousands of software packages!

Isn't this (providing a web interface for translators of strings in open
source software) exactly what the Launchpad.net Rosetta framework does,
on a rather larger scale?

Would it really be appropriate for SWORD/CrossWire to invest limited
resources re-inventing tools of this nature, rather than using what is
already available?

Further info about Rosetta and contributing translated strings using it
is available at:

 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Rosetta
 * https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/StartingToTranslate

Jonathan