[sword-devel] Sharing was Re: Welsh Bible from beibl.net

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 20 20:01:56 MST 2009

Well, we kindof have a framework started.

With ideas from Joachim Ansorg's framework he did for the Bibletime site
a long time ago, me and Daniel Glassey wrote a JSP taglib extension for
the localization of CrossWire web sites.  The framework has been refined
and works great.

It allows a translator to login, pick a language and start translating
strings from a page.

The page needs only the encompass any translatable strings with
<t:t>this is a translatable string</t:t>

The framework then compiles a table of all strings and presents them to
the translator.

When the page is displayed, it replaces all the <t:t> tag text with the
text for the correct language.

We could easily generate a simple page that lists all Bible book names
on a page.  Actually, it would be fun to just make the instruction page
only encapsulate the Bible book names in <t:t> so when you translate the
instruction page, you'll only be presented with the Bible book names.
Anyway, we could get creative.

Here is an example of translated swordweb:

Modern Greek
http://crosswire.org/study/?lang=el

Chinese
http://crosswire.org/study/?lang=zh_CN

We just haven't opened it up for volunteers yet as we haven't settled on
the actual text for swordweb.

Would be cool to setup translation projects in the community site! :)
We could really use some creative individuals willing to jump in and
start fiddling with what we have already and refining the framework.
It's been drastically refined for the CSNTM project (we're getting tons
of volunteers, though not many from sword-devel-- which is actually
quite good as it means we're attracting scholars and not primarily
programmers).  But the projects are REALLY ugly, as, well, you know me.
:)  e.g.,

http://community.crosswire.org/projects/csntm/home.jsp

Any designers willing to pretty up the styles of these pages would be a
welcomed blessing!

	-Troy.