[sword-devel] Concerns about Alternate Versification

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Jan 6 03:28:38 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:
> So how do we label them?  "<verse osisRef="Dan.3.77"
> canonical="not-considered-by-Protestants-as-such">"?  Because the
> reason that they're in that version is because they're probably
> considered canonical by someone.

Just to qualify what I said previously about the purpose of the
canonical attribute: it's intended to identify the canonicity of a
segment within the work--according to the translator or whatever
authority is caretaker of the text. The canonical attribute has only two
valid values: 0 or 1. 1 is for Bible text. 2 is for stuff like notes &
titles (aside from Psalm titles).

Thus Psalm titles are canonical, regardless of whether they are numbered
verse 1 or not. Apocryphal books are always canonical, regardless of how
apocryphal they may be considered. So 1Macc is canonical in any Bible
that includes it and no consideration is given to its deuterocanonical
status in Catholic Bibles. Laodiceans is canonical in the Vulgate. Odes
is canonical in the LXX. The prologue to Sirach is canonical wherever
Sirach appears. Etc.

--Chris