[sword-devel] SwordWeb and Javascript/AJAX

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 06:23:43 MST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> Just to get some feedback here :
>
> Currently Swordweb largely does not rely on Javascript - and the few
> places where it does use Javascript, can be turned off + functionality
> is then done on the server.
>
> We are thinking of hugely expanding the use of javascript but that would
> probably require to dump the ability to turn JS off  unless we want to
> duplicate lots and lots of code.
>
> A few years back it seems this would have been a huge issue, but now I
> find that every other site is using AJAX to their hearts content without
> people complaining about it anymore.
>
> We will package the existing site as a release after fixing the the last
> few bugs of which we are aware, so that those who want/need a swordweb
> without AJAX can get it.
>
> So, my question is - would you feel this is a bad move?

No, so long as you make the back button work if JS ends up used for
navigation (and preferably support functionality like "Open in New
Tab" and bookmarking the current page, so that I can relatively easily
explore related passage X in a separate window without disturbing my
current position, part of what tabs are for).

Jon