[sword-devel] [sword-support] Digital Bible Society Request

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Dec 26 15:03:51 MST 2009

Hi Ken,

This here is probably something close to what you are looking for:

http://www.ibt.org.ru/english/bible/info_bible_en.htm

Created on basis of our software for Centralasian churches. Works
installed or on USB stick/DVD etc. Can play associated media. At the
moment only sound, but I am sure video is a possible useful future
extension.

Mostly Javascript.

Others are BpBible and BibleDesktop. Both run from CD/USB stick and can
provide a very straightforward, but powerful work environment. Latter is
translated into Farsi.

Further Xiphos - needs as such installation, but could be easily
captured into a Linux LiveCD/USB/DVD drive which would lead to a totally
traceless work environment.

www.crosswire.org/applications.jsp

All of these above use the same modules as basis from our repos. It is
possible to distribute them along with the programmes so there is no
need to use the internet.

The point though I am trying to make is

It is necessary to stay as flexible as possible and not be married to a
single form of delivery.

If the texts/modules/content is packaged in ways that are specific to
the one planned form of delivery, you are limiting yourself.

I personally was taken by surprise by the huge popularity of the iphone
among Iranians - I thought it was an expensive toy - but as the content
I worked on is useful for _all_ our software, once the iphone
biblereader came along all the work I did in last years was immediately
accessible.

Summary - We have ample kit already available to make your vision
practically immediately possible. We need more content. If you create
content in a custom format useful only for this one project then you are
tied to a single medium and stand+fall with the usefulness of this

If you negotiate wider permissions from content providers and create
content for our software then both your immediate vision and the long
term viability of the library is guaranteed.

This is what I would like you to think through.

Yours in Him

Peter

P.S. Just noticed Troy's email which covers some of my points. Sorry for
duplication.