[sword-devel] configure.ac defaults

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Dec 7 06:13:26 MST 2009

As a SWORD utility developer and minor contributor elsewhere in the SWORD code, I wouldn't be bothered by having the deepest set of messages coming from the compile. I think they are invaluable in finding/fixing bugs and potential bugs as well as identifying better practices.

But because platforms differ, I think it would be important to have a stated reference platform (a particular version of a linux distribution) on which the compile is clean, producing no messages. That way we can load up a VM with that platform to do our development work on the SWORD engine. Turning on a flag in a checked in configuration should only happen when all its complaints have been addressed.

If someone can explain how to run configure with the appropriate flags for such messaging, I'd be glad to cleanup the utilities (not right now, but next after the module I'm working on.) Having the instructions in our README (or elsewhere) would be good, too.

Having the flags for deepest messaging be default for general distribution is probably not a good idea.

In Him,
	DM