[sword-devel] PocketSword will be delayed...

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 21:39:10 MST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Nic Carter <niccarter at mac.com> wrote:
> Firstly they rejected it cause they found a bug in the downloader.  I think they assumed that was the normal behaviour, but it was something I've never encountered before.  So I've asked for more information.  :)

Good to know they actually test the programs.  It's probably up to
which reviewer you get, but I've seen some shoddy programs out in the
wild on iPhone.  Just be thankful for a free, unexpected quality
testing from them!

> They claim it is a "beta version" because you can download modules from the "CrossWire Beta" repository!  Argh!  :(

You might just try hiding the name of the repository in general from
users.  It's not like they really need to know about it.  Or you could
do string replaces in repository names... or just hide any
repositories that say "Beta," since you don't want your app to choke
on possibly beta modules and endanger it passing Apple's muster. ;)
Since the user has no ability to update or debug from the iPhone
anyway, they probably shouldn't be using the Beta repository.  Maybe
leave a flag in so you can build your developer versions with it
enabled and test on the simulator/your phone?

> So, it's something I can work around in both cases, but a pain.  Cause do I delay it a little and add some features I've been working on for 1.1 and throw them in or do I revert to my 1.0 code and work with that?

I would suggest work from your 1.0 branch for now, so you don't
accidentally introduce possibly more bugs.  Any bugs you do find, you
can port to your 1.1 work with a patch, hopefully!  Do what you need
to get a version released, so people like me who are salivating can
start playing with it, and then be all giddy when we see updates!

> Ok, sorry for the overshare (you all may have figured out that I can write long emails!)...  Prayer could be for patience for me & for them to read the email I wrote back to them & get back to me quickly (preferably for them to change their minds, too!!!!!)  :)

Prayer incoming!

Blessings,
--Greg