[sword-devel] Font problem in conf file

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Dec 2 06:13:06 MST 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 5:24 AM, <johnduffy at cgcf.net> <johnduffy at cgcf.net> wrote:

> I've played around with this for a fair while, and it seems to me that it is
> an encoding problem.  I see that the NetBible has the same issue also in the
> About text in BibleCS but not in Xiphos.
>
> I've used some conversion programs to UTF-8, in case the encoding was not
> correct, but it made no difference.  In the end, I copied and modified
> (using Notepad++) another ANSI (as listed in Notepad++) conf file, typing
> the text in again in that file, and it worked.
>
> However, if I make the file format ANSI (as listed in Notepad++) like the
> other conf files, the diacritics display properly in BibleCS.  However, they
> do not display properly in Xiphos.  If the file is in UFT-8 (no BOM), it
> displays well in Xiphos but not in BibleCS.  This affects not only the
> module description, but all the 'About' text as well.
>
> Also, the latest download (nightly today) of BibleDesktop will not see the
> module (i.e. list it as a Bible module to view) if the conf file is in UTF-8
> format.  Using an ANSI file allows BibleDesktop to see and display the
> module properly.

I don't know why it is not showing up. It should.

It should properly handle UTF-8 encoded confs.

> It seems that the conf file text must be limited to the basic ASCII
> character set, and saved in ANSI format.  Is this correct?  Or, I could be
> making a silly mistake on the encoding (files attached for comparison).

If the file is UTF-8, the conf should be also. Otherwise it should be cp1252.

As a work around for the problem with About (or any other field that allows RTF), try using RTF escape codes for those characters.