[sword-devel] FFe application for sword being considered, and patches split out

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Aug 31 09:52:27 MST 2009

On 08/31/2009 12:42 PM, DM Smith wrote:
> I don't think the solution regarding segfaults on a search of only 
> stopwords is the right way to solve the problem. The problem is in 
> clucene or an inappropriate use of it. A bug should be entered into 
> the clucene project for it.

The bug has already been reported and fixed:
It is fixed in 0.9.23.

> I found a related, and now fixed bug, where "a AND b" where "a" is a 
> stopword would produce a segfault. See:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1051984&group_id=80013&atid=558446 
> I'm not saying that removing stopwords shouldn't be done. It should, 
> but it is a different issue.
> Presuming maintaining bc on existing indexes is a good thing, it needs 
> to be fixed in clucene.
> BTW, BibleTime is using 0.9.2 which is akin to Lucene 2.3.x. Upgrading 
> to what is getting the most developer attention might be a good thing. 
> In Java Lucene, they guarantee that a 2.x reader can read a 1.x built 
> index and the StandardAnalyzer is also backward compatible in these 
> series. I'm nearly sure the same is true with clucene.
> I found in going from Lucene 1.4.x to 2.x that there were very minimal 
> changes to be made. I expect that given our trivial use of clucene 
> that it should be trivial to upgrade to 0.9.x. The BT folks should be 
> able to give an idea as to how stable it is.
> In Him,
>     DM
> On 08/30/2009 11:17 PM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>> I have split out three specific patches from Matthew's single larger
>> patch, and tested what happens when I incorporate them in our sword
>> packages.  They all test out fine for me.  Each one fixes a clearly
>> present bug in the current packaged code.
>> The three patch files are available for download at:
>>    http://crosswire.org/~jmarsden/16_larger_search_buffer.diff
>>    http://crosswire.org/~jmarsden/17_no_stop_words.diff
>>    http://crosswire.org/~jmarsden/18_check_index_dir_is_writeable.diff
>> Although they were made against the sword 1.6.0 tarball code by quilt,
>> they apply cleanly against SWORD svn head (use patch -p1<filename.diff
>> to apply them by hand).  I'd be happy to see them accepted into the
>> official SWORD codebase.
>> I did this work because I'm seriously thinking about trying for an FFe,
>> so we can get these, plus a packaging change to re-enable module
>> encryption and decryption (!), into Karmic.
>> Anyone with objections, or anyone with suggested additional bugfixes
>> that should go into such a package update, please speak up.
>> Jonathan

More information about the sword-devel mailing list