[sword-devel] FFe application for sword being considered, and patches split out

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Aug 31 09:42:12 MST 2009

I don't think the solution regarding segfaults on a search of only
stopwords is the right way to solve the problem. The problem is in
clucene or an inappropriate use of it. A bug should be entered into the
clucene project for it.

I found a related, and now fixed bug, where "a AND b" where "a" is a
stopword would produce a segfault. See:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1051984&group_id=80013&atid=558446

I'm not saying that removing stopwords shouldn't be done. It should, but
it is a different issue.

Presuming maintaining bc on existing indexes is a good thing, it needs
to be fixed in clucene.

BTW, BibleTime is using 0.9.2 which is akin to Lucene 2.3.x. Upgrading
to what is getting the most developer attention might be a good thing.
In Java Lucene, they guarantee that a 2.x reader can read a 1.x built
index and the StandardAnalyzer is also backward compatible in these
series. I'm nearly sure the same is true with clucene.

I found in going from Lucene 1.4.x to 2.x that there were very minimal
changes to be made. I expect that given our trivial use of clucene that
it should be trivial to upgrade to 0.9.x. The BT folks should be able to
give an idea as to how stable it is.

In Him,
     DM