[sword-devel] Bible-Discovery - non-free program using SWORD modules

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Aug 28 20:23:48 MST 2009

David Haslam wrote:
> This thread has strayed from the subject, which was (to remind everyone),
> whether Miklos Zsido's Bible-Discovery program uses any of the open source
> code from our stable, but outside the terms of the relevant license.
>
> Is there a way to find out, without one of us forking out USD49 ?
>
> And if the answer does turn out to be "yes", would it be up to Troy to
> consider what steps to take afterwards?
>
> -- David

I don't think I understand the question here. The software is free to
download. After that, you can poke around at the Java binaries if you
like, searching for tell-tale strings.

I did, and didn't find anything. Nothing about this software looks like
it came from Sword or JSword. I'd encourage someone more knowledgeable
than me to do the same, but I really don't see any problems here.

I'm not sure what the $49 gets you, but maybe it won't actually run
without a serial number. I'm not personally interested in installing yet
another Bible app, so I didn't try running it.

--Chris