[sword-devel] RSV/NRSV: Nope.

Mike Hart just_mike_y at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 23 19:03:10 MST 2009

There is a copy of the RSV new testament available on the Internet Archive @ ( http://www.archive.org/stream/newcovenantcommo009161mbp#page/n5/mode/1up ) In this work published in the United States, the copyright statement declares "copyright 1946/ International Council of Religious Education/to insure the purity of the text".

The way I read this copyright statement, it releases all non revisionist uses of the text. Because of this, all uses of the RSV new testament which do not alter the text should be legal. I don't have access to a facsimile of a first edition old testament or whole bible, but I would expect the same copyright statement to be present if it was completed under the same Council.

This copyright statement is clearly intended only to preserve the work of the contributors against alteration, and was not taken to create a marketing legacy.

(I'm not a lawyer, so don't go using this as a legal brief).