[sword-devel] Wiki Misrepresentation

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 07:47:19 MST 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 9:29 AM, DM Smith<dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:
> On 08/03/2009 09:58 AM, Greg Hellings wrote:
>>
>> I was on this page - http://crosswire.org/wiki/Frontends:FeatureList -
>> earlier today and noticed the following line:
>> All frontends MUST be GPLv2 licensed. (This should be obvious. The
>> SWORD Project is GPLv2-licensed. All derivative works, such as
>> frontends and utilities, must be GPLv2 or they would be in violation
>> of CrossWire's copyright and the copyrights of 3rd parties whose code
>> has been incorporated into SWORD, e.g. the FSF.)
>>
>> However, that is directly in contradiction to the words of the Free
>> Software Foundation's FAQ lines about this exact situation:
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
>> If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean
>> that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL or a
>> GPL-compatible license?
>> Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.
>>
>> This explicitly allows for distribution of other works under
>> compatible licenses, not only under the GPL.
>
> This is only part of the story. The GPL is viral and anything built from GPL
> libraries also has to be GPL. As I understand it, this clause allows for
> dual licensing with another compatible license. It does not remove the viral
> nature of the GPL.
>
> There is another entry in the same FAQ that says that when combining GPL
> code with other non-GPL, but compatible license code, the resultant code is
> GPL.
> See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean
> What does it mean to say a license is “compatible with the GPL?”
>
> It means that the other license and the GNU GPL are compatible; you can
> combine code released under the other license with code released under the
> GNU GPL in one larger program.
>
> All GNU GPL versions permit such combinations privately; they also permit
> distribution of such combinations provided the combination is released under
> the same GNU GPL version. The other license is compatible with the GPL if it
> permits this too.
>
> GPLv3 is compatible with more licenses than GPLv2: it allows you to make
> combinations with code that has specific kinds of additional requirements
> that are not in GPLv3 itself. Section 7 has more information about this,
> including the list of additional requirements that are permitted.

This is talking about combining two sets of code into a different
program, not linking a program against a library.  The link that I
posted is very specifically talking about if I write program Y that
links the SWORD library, which is GPLv2, which is the situation most
(all?) of our frontends are in.  Additionally, here is what the FSF