[sword-devel] osis2mod output (Bisaya-Inunhan NT)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 16:57:48 MST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>> Similarly, since one can specify a versification system inside the OSIS
>> XML file, why does osis2mod need a -v switch to select a versification
>> system?  Can't it just use the one specified in the XML input (and default
>> to the OSIS default, if one is not specified in the OSIS XML)?
>
> There's no guarantee that 3rd parties will identify reference systems in the
> same way as we do. There's no requirement from OSIS that reference systems
> conform to some standard set. And we don't want to prevent people importing
> data that does not conform to one of our explicitly supported v11n systems.
>
> If DM wants to add the capability to osis2mod to catch the ref system
> declaration and understand Bible.(KJV|Leningrad|Tanakh|NRSVA|...), that's
> fine, but we definitely need to allow explicit overrides via a switch as we
> currently have.

Not sure I agree with this.  If the OSIS file uses Tanakh and claims
that is uses GNT, then even if the user wants to change that on the
command line, they shouldn't be able to.  To do so would clearly
violate anyone's (within reason) "best practices" and we are trying to
encourage and help people to use "best practices" when encoding their
OSIS.

Certainly, having a manual switch in case the OSIS file doesn't
specify might be good, but even that would not be "best practice."
The "best" thing to do would be follow the OSIS standard if that's
what we want people to use -- assume NRSVA unless the file states
otherwise.  Anything else is clearly not the "best" in regards to the
semantics of the specified OSIS standard.

--Greg