[sword-devel] Soft hyphens?

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 02:59:00 MST 2009

My question was prompted by recent discussions in the context of mobile
phones with narrow displays.
Equally valid to ponder in the context of narrow windows on more
conventional platforms.

The longest two words in the English Bible are the proper names in Isaiah
8:1 (Mahershalalhashbaz) and Psalm 56 canonical title (Jonathelemrechokim).
However, in most translations these are usually hyphenated already,
(Maher-shalal-hash-baz , Jonathelem-rechokim).

Whether the treatment of hyphens (soft or hard) depends on the ingenuity of
the frontend programmer or the underlying OS call is also worth bearing in
mind.

-- David