[sword-devel] Remaining licence/copyright issues (was: SWORD 1.6.0RC2)

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:29:02 MST 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>wrote:

> Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>

>> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/ALPHAcckswwlkrfre22034820285912/alpha/sword-1.6.0RC2.tar.gz
>>

> Thanks.  I'll try to get this packaged for front end developer testing
> tonight.
>
> One quick first impression: there are still a few files in the RC2 tarball
> that
>
>  licencecheck -r *
>
> complains about.  Excluding the zlib ones, it finds:
>
>  bindings/corba/java/src/org/crosswire/util/Base64.java: *No copyright*
> UNKNOWN
>  bindings/swig/package/autogen.sh: *No copyright* UNKNOWN
>  bindings/autogen.sh: *No copyright* UNKNOWN
>  src/modules/filters/utf8arabicpoints.cpp: *No copyright* UNKNOWN
>  src/modules/common/sapphire.cpp: *No copyright* UNKNOWN
>  src/utilfuns/win32/dirent.cpp: UNKNOWN
>  src/utilfuns/ftplib.c: UNKNOWN
>  src/utilfuns/zlib/untgz.c: *No copyright* UNKNOWN
>  src/utilfuns/ftpparse.c: *No copyright* UNKNOWN
>  autogen.sh: *No copyright* UNKNOWN

ftpparse is the hard one, really. The current version doesn't seem to be
GPL-compatible (in fact the license doesn't really grant any permission
except for commercial).
ftpcopy has a public domain rewrite of this, but it has changed a few
things:
/* differences between Bernsteins and this version:
 * a) use tai, not time_t.
 * b) included format flag.
 * c) size is now an uint64 (was signed long).
 * d) added FTPPARSE_MTIME_REMOTESECOND: time zone is unknown, seconds known
 * e) much more formats understood.
 * f) much more picky about some details.
 * g) there's a function to parse MLSX.
 */
Using this would seem to require pulling in a few extra files from the
ftpcopy package.

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,