[sword-devel] OSIS looks daunting. Can I import from existing VPL format?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 13:55:51 MST 2009

John,

I'll leave someone else to address the possible issues with e-Sword.
We are not e-Sword, nor affiliated with e-Sword nor do we wish to be.

On a different note - it sounds like the toughest part for you will be
the vast amount of automated work required to reformat each verse into
an OSIS verse container.  Adding in the copyright information,
wrapping each chapter or book into an OSIS container or dealing with
the headings can all be done manually for only a fraction of the time
that it would take to manually convert each line into a <v ...> tag in
OSIS.

Assuming your lines are formatted like this:
Gen.1.1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth
Gen.1.2 And the earth was without form and void

you can use a simple sed script to convert the verses in the file to
OSIS-tagged with a replace rule like this:

s/\([^ ]+\) \(.*\)/<v osisID="\1">\2<\/v>/

That may not be exactly correct, but it should be close.  If the
format of your lines is different, try posting a couple of verses here
(provided it's within copyright to transmit a handful of verses, which
most Bibles allow).  Once you get the verse containers created, you
shouldn't have much trouble doing the additional edits and additions
by hand.

Obviously, you can automate the process even to the point of giving
proper chapter/book wrappers in OSIS, but that would require a tool
more powerful than sed and probably would only be worth your time if
you are going to do this with a multitude of documents.

--Greg