[sword-devel] IRC access using "web only" network access (Was: Re: iPhone developers?)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 20 14:06:36 MST 2009

Ian Wagner wrote:

> Unfortunately I will not be able to chat on #sword until after I am done
> with school (May 9th) because of the said network access restrictions
> on-campus :(

I was a C.S. student once (more than two decades ago!)... I'd say you're
not being very creative about overcoming your network restrictions :)
There are several free web IRC gateways you can use in "web only"
situations.  For example, browse to

http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.freenode.net&channel=%23sword&forcePrompt=true

and after a mild delay, enter a nick and click Connect, and you should
be on #sword :)

Actually, there is a link called "chat" on the http://www.crosswire.org
home page, which uses mibbit to do this, under "Do you need help?" --
doesn't that work for you?

If not, and you want to chat on #sword before May 9th, say so, and I'll
set up a copy of CGI:IRC somewhere for you to use :)

Jonathan