[sword-devel] BibleTime Windows and Mac packages

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Sat Apr 18 05:36:58 MST 2009

Am 18.04.2009 um 12:34 schrieb DM Smith:

> Regarding Mac, here is my experience (pretending to be a typical Mac
> user):
> 1) The installer was a surprise. I did not expect a pkg installer
> but rather I expected to have an app wrapped in a dmg that I would
> drag to the location of my choice. This is what both Bible Desktop
> and Mac Sword have. This kind of installer is not at all typical for
> a Mac user. I see it for things like MacOffice, Adobe Photoshop, EA
> games and other stuff from very well known vendors. It makes me
> wonder whether I want to install at all as it gives away root access
> to my machine, making me suspicious of a Trojan. Though I know you
> guys and am not suspicious, I am curious as to what is being
> installed that requires root access.

Surprise for me too. An installer is better than not having BibleTime
on Mac at all.
However installers are for more complex installations where you need
to install Kernel extensions or need to run some post-install scripts.
In this case, if all data is within the application bundle an
installer is not needed.

The Admin access is to write the data into /usr where normally you
don't have write access.
But the same applies to /Applications.

> 5) Having found it I have know idea how to run it. Since I can't get
> to it in Finder, I can't execute it. From terminal one cannot run an
> app as the app is nothing more than a folder. No normal Mac user
> will ever use the Terminal to do anything. Not being a normal Mac
> user, I finally moved it /Applications where it can be seen by
> Spotlight, my preferred way of launching programs, and by Finder.

You can run application bundles from command line. Check out "open"
command.
For example:
# open /usr/bibletime.app
should run it. But yes, normally very few people do this.

Manfred