[sword-devel] Bibletime 2.0.alpha3 FTBFS with sword 1.6.0RC1 library

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Apr 13 03:57:27 MST 2009

> And BTW, I have never understood the use of public data members in the
> library.

Yeah yeah, or the non-standard case of method names, etc.  It's a 20
year old library and has some history.  We have a milestone version in
jira for normalizing the public interface-- when we'll remove all public
data members.

> Some of them seem to be set once and never used in the library
> code. Most of them are undocumented so that programmer can only guess if
> using it at all breaks his code. I had to read through the library
> source code to have our install manager done. That makes me want to stay
> away from the library as much as possible.

You shouldn't have to use any public data member (that I'm aware of).
Some were exposed in the past to give access to things which probably
should be exposed.  The ones that should we should add getters.  Agreed.

You really shouldn't have had to read any code in the library for the
installmgr.  We developed a cmdline example which implements every
feature available at sword/utilities/installmgr.cpp

And if you'd like commit access to improve the header comments, please
ask :)

Hope you had a nice Easter Eeli!

	-Troy.