[sword-devel] Making Import Easier

jonathon jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 23:23:55 MST 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 02:39, Matthew Talbert wrote:

> I was merely going off what I have read in the archives, including this:

If you had read the archives, you'd realize that the issue is
supporting invalid/malformed markup that resources creators use.

In as much as invalid markup can cause the rendering engine to choke,
requiring the resource creator to be able to create a valid OSIS or
ThML document by hand, was the simplest choice to make back in 2003.
(Why spend hours coding stuff to fix errors that never should have
been made in the first place?)

Since 2003, tools have appeared, that will find,and correct _most_
malformed and/or invalid markup. (With the right extension, one can
create their content using OpenOffice.org, and export a theoretically
valid OSIS document.  A different extension enables one to export a
theoretically valid ThML document, from OOo.)

Of course, making things easy for users to create Bible Study modules
is a trade off of resources for the development team.

In an ideal world, the casual end-user will read _all_ of the
documentation before creating their resource.  In the real world, they
might start reading it after having to fix umpteen things to get their
resource to be usable in their Bible study program of choice.

jonathon