[sword-devel] File Compression (Was: Making Import Easier)

Kahunapule Michael Johnson kahunapule at mpj.cx
Mon Apr 6 22:52:33 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:
> It remains a fact that a large portion of the world does not have
> high-bandwidth download options nor does it have modern computers.  So
> we're still trying to accommodate people who are on POTS or slower
> systems with possibly tiny hard drives in remote areas of the world (a
> supposedly still significant portion of the clients of SWORD are in
> this scenario).

Amen! Think of the One Laptop Per Child XO (toy) computers. And have
mercy on people like me, who pay for Internet traffic by the megabyte.
Compression is not a significant drag on high-powered computers with
broadband connections (and, in fact, normally helps), but it is a BIG
advantage in distribution of software and documents in my part of the
world (in a nation with limited infrastructure, on an island a LONG way
from most of you).

Michael in Papua New Guinea