[sword-devel] Documentation update

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 09:52:48 MST 2008

Peter,

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> Do you think there is enough info there to start creating some man pages?

I presume you mean for the command-line tools in the utilities directory?  I
don't believe any of those really have Doxy-style comments in them.  I do
know that Doxygen is able to create man-style pages, but without Doxy
comments, it won't produce any such files.  If you mean man-style pages of
the class/header references, then that should be as simple as enabling the
option to create the man pages in the Doxyfile, which I can do.  However,
you'd then need to run Doxygen on your own system and install the files
yourself, unless we start including the Doxyfile with the SWORD engine and
adding a make target to build/install the documentation files.

> I think the usage examples given with the command line options are a bit
> sparse and could do with augmenting. I would be part of that.

The main step would be figuring out how to properly comment a main function
in Doxy-style comments and adding them to the files which lack them (which,
I believe, is all of the CLI tools).  Once you've done that, submit a patch
to the list and someone with SVN commit access will add them to the
repository.  Then we can talk about putting a Doxyfile with the reulgarly
distributed engine and adding the necessary steps to the build process.

--Greg