[sword-devel] sword python bindings for openmoko

melmoth at melmoth at
Fri Sep 5 09:00:37 MST 2008

Hi there.

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 04:09:44PM +0200, Natanael Arndt wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to write a bible reading application for the OpenMoko FreeRunner (the new linux smartphone).
> The most programmers (for openmoko) write in python because you don't need to do any crosscompiling.
> I'm neither common with crosscompiling nor with python, but I just wrote my first python app for openmoko, so I would like to write it with pygtk. Or could some others help me to write it in c++? But I think in both cases I don't want to do this alone.
> So where can I find information how to use sword with python?
> And who wants to do the same and help bringing the bible to the open phone platform?
> There is already a page in the openmoko-wiki: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wishlist/Bible_Reader
> be blessed
> Natanael

There are 2 python application i know of you may be interesting having a
look at: BpBible and Rapier.

I started Rapier for the maemo platform. It uses pygtk. Something that i
should have done is to use the glade library to build the interface. If
it s available for OpenMoko, do think about it before starting.

Rapier sources are available via svn:

I also put some notes about python and sword usage here:

If i remember correctly, since Sword 1.5.10, the main Makefile contain
entry to make the python module simply with a "make pythonswig" and
"make python_make", so try out first with the main Makefile before following
the instruction i posted in the small "howto".

I think BpBible use wx instead of gtk, but is definitively worth
a look too. Most of what i learnt about python and Sword comes from
BpBile and the help from Ben :)

Let us know how your project is going !