[sword-devel] The Sword Project on OpenSolaris

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Oct 13 05:42:49 MST 2008

"Greg Hellings" <greg.hellings at gmail.com> writes:
> I don't know the answer to your question -- I would guess that it's
> gdb, since it seems that gcc/g++ is the "standard" compiler toolchain
> for Solaris.

No, Sun was the first to go the "unbundled" route, in the early '90s,
which is why their filesystem layout includes /usr/sfw.  The debugger
needed is dbx, a program name I haven't thought in decades but which is
in fact familiar to some disused neurons from lo those years ago.

Elsewhere, I was pointed to this...

| It appears that you join SDN (https://reg.sun.com/register?program=sdn)
| which is free, then can download

| Sun Studio 12 - FREE for SDN members.
| SDN members can download a free, full-license copy of Sun Studio 12.

...with this follow-on observation:

| The real tools have always been special downloads and installs.

Frankly....no, not doing it.  There's this word, "open," that's part of
OpenSolaris.  Open means open.  It doesn't mean "now you have to give us
your name, your email address, and your firstborn child before you can
have The Good Stuff."  I don't register with Fedora, Ubuntu, or Cygwin,
either, I just expect to find tools that work.

I'll fix GnomeSword under Solaris when gdb doesn't drop core.