[sword-devel] The Sword Project on OpenSolaris

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 09:11:24 MST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org>wrote:

> "Greg Hellings" <greg.hellings at gmail.com> writes:
> > I had to manually enter the address for pkg.opensolaris.org into the
> > /etc/hosts file, because the system could not figure out DNS until
> > after the update
> Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf to add "dns" to the "hosts" line instead.

After updating the system, that was enabled by default - thanks for the tip
for next time.

> > I then had to manually build and install pkg-config from sources,
> > since the executable is not included with the openSolaris packages,
> pkg-config is part of gnome-common.
> (I don't explain it, I just describe it.)

Aha! I figured it had to be somewhere, since so many of the packages
included pkgconfig files.

> > I opted to install CLucene manually
> I wanted a bland, just-what-the-system-supplies build.  CLucene is
> non-essential.

CLucene doesn't seem to build quite properly - the linker complains about
mangled something inside of the library files.  I suppose I just wanted to
test and see if it would build and function properly.

> > After that, I configured and built the SWORD library.  I received an
> error
> > message during the linking of the buildtest which claimed it couldn't
> find
> > libustdio
> That's why I configured sword without icu.

Without icu worked fine for me.

> > I then installed SUNWxorg-headers, to pull in the headers and pkg-config
> > files for xrender.pc and other such similar issues.
> I didn't know about SUNWxorg-headers -- and I am @#$% tired of yet
> another package environment deciding that they have to deliberately
> mis-name packages, "SUNWthis" and "FSWthat" is deeply annoying -- but
> that did not give me /usr/lib/pkgconfig/xrender.pc.  I don't know how
> you got it, and I am still unable to configure GS at all: It fails in
> the same place, for the same reason, as seen in config.log, lack of
> xrender.pc needed by cairo.

Package Manager does not list xrender.pc as part of the xorg-headers
package, nevertheless, after installing that package, I had the xrender.pc
file.  What version were you trying?  I have 0.5.11-0.98.  I presume the
0.5.11 means that this is SunOS 5.11, but I have no idea what 0.98 is
supposed to indicate.  I second your feelings about this package manager

> On getting problems with gecko.o in GnomeSword, first try building
> without it, --enable-gtkhtml, just to see if you can get a working GS
> without gecko's help.

That (almost) did the trick.  It compiles and links fine.  Once I installed
it and installed a Bible module, it ran the request to become the URL
handler, displayed the start-up splash screen, the progress bar filled out,
then, when the bar was completely full, the program seg faulted with the
following backtrace:
(gdb) bt
#0  0xce8035e0 in countbytes () from /lib/libc.so.1
#1  0xce845086 in _ndoprnt () from /lib/libc.so.1
#2  0xce8474b0 in vsnprintf () from /lib/libc.so.1
#3  0xce9d77a3 in g_printf_string_upper_bound () from
#4  0xcea00293 in g_vasprintf () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#5  0xce9eb68a in g_strdup_vprintf () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#6  0xce9eb6b3 in g_strdup_printf () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#7  0x080a26a3 in on_notebook_comm_book_switch_page (notebook=0x874c2e0,
page=0x8805da0, page_num=1, tl=0x0)
    at main_window.c:528
#8  0xd03d077e in _gtk_marshal_VOID__POINTER_UINT () from
#9  0xceaaf063 in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#10 0xceac2d63 in signal_emit_unlocked_R () from
#11 0xceac205c in g_signal_emit_valist () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#12 0xceac21f1 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#13 0xd03e90d8 in gtk_notebook_switch_page () from
#14 0xd03ea026 in gtk_notebook_set_current_page () from
#15 0x080a1ed6 in gui_set_bible_comm_layout () at main_window.c:268
#16 0x080b6e0c in gui_recompute_shows () at tabbed_browser.c:114
#17 0x080b85b0 in gui_notebook_main_setup () at tabbed_browser.c:1148
#18 0x080a0947 in frontend_display () at gnomesword.c:173
#19 0x080c5765 in main (argc=0, argv=0x8047920) at main.c:121

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/attachments/20081010/e359f306/attachment.html 

More information about the sword-devel mailing list