[sword-devel] The Sword Project on OpenSolaris

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Fri Oct 10 07:26:46 MST 2008

"Greg Hellings" <greg.hellings at gmail.com> writes:
> I had to manually enter the address for pkg.opensolaris.org into the
> /etc/hosts file, because the system could not figure out DNS until
> after the update

Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf to add "dns" to the "hosts" line instead.

> I then had to manually build and install pkg-config from sources,
> since the executable is not included with the openSolaris packages,

pkg-config is part of gnome-common.

(I don't explain it, I just describe it.)

> I opted to install CLucene manually

I wanted a bland, just-what-the-system-supplies build.  CLucene is

> After that, I configured and built the SWORD library.  I received an error
> message during the linking of the buildtest which claimed it couldn't find
> libustdio

That's why I configured sword without icu.

> I then installed SUNWxorg-headers, to pull in the headers and pkg-config
> files for xrender.pc and other such similar issues.

I didn't know about SUNWxorg-headers -- and I am @#$% tired of yet
another package environment deciding that they have to deliberately
mis-name packages, "SUNWthis" and "FSWthat" is deeply annoying -- but
that did not give me /usr/lib/pkgconfig/xrender.pc.  I don't know how
you got it, and I am still unable to configure GS at all: It fails in
the same place, for the same reason, as seen in config.log, lack of
xrender.pc needed by cairo.

On getting problems with gecko.o in GnomeSword, first try building
without it, --enable-gtkhtml, just to see if you can get a working GS
without gecko's help.

More information about the sword-devel mailing list