[sword-devel] iPhone NDA dropped

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Sun Oct 5 23:51:42 MST 2008

Hi Greg.

Am 06.10.2008 um 07:55 schrieb Greg Hellings:

> Manfred,
>
> > Yes, that may be.
> > Which sources of Eloquent have you tried compiling? This project is
> > rather old and you might want to use other backend sources.
> >
> > I'm trying to build the version out of SVN on googlecode.  Is this
> > the "latest" repo of it?  As for other back end sources, I know of
> > no other Obj-C back end sources for SWORD.  If there are others,
> > which are more up-to-date, I'll happily use them.
>
> The 'original' sources of MacSword are more up-to-date.
> Eloquent project is more or less dead. The sources have been merged
> into MacSword 1.4 branch and trunk partly.
>
> I pulled trunk - is that supposed to be the latest version, or is
> 1.4 branch newer?  It still fails to compile against the current SVN
> of sword, complaining of the sword::VerseKey class lacking the
> NewIndex() function on line 186 of SwordSearching.mm.  I don't know
> if that method has been pulled out since the version MacSword 1.4
> and, if so, what method to replace it with now.

The trunk is the upcoming new version (2.0) of MacSword.
This one you can use. There are refactored Sword wrapper classes in
src/Sword which should work.
At least they do here and they also compile against Sword 1.5.11.
Both the trunk and the 1.4 branch use Sword 1.5.11 ATM.
But I think some work is needed in order to use this in iPhone because
the sources have been refactored to use Objective-C 2.0, including the
usage of garbage collection. It should run on iPhone but probably will
leak memory as not all objects and memory will be released if there is
no GC.
You need to put back in manual memory management. It isn't a big issue
but needs some work.

Regards,
Manfred